The Mid-American Canoe & Kayak Race returns Sunday, June 5.
Join paddlers of all ages and abilities in returning to an early summer tradition that dates back to the 1960s.
Choose your division and paddle the scenic Fox River — competitively, leisurely or somewhere in between — from starting points in either St. Charles or Batavia.
Two race lengths are offered with start lines in St. Charles (10 miles) and Batavia (6 miles) both finishing with a post-race lunch party and awards ceremony at Prisco Community Center/McCullough Park, 150 W. Illinois Ave. in Aurora. It will be 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Pre-race packet pickup will be held 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, June 3, and 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday, June 4, at Prisco Community Center.
With 10 canoe divisions, 8 kayak divisions, and a noncompetitive recreational category — there’s something for everyone!
The top three boats in each division receive an award.
Note: Use of life jackets (personal flotation devices) by all participants is required.
Sign up at www.foxvalleyparkdistrict.org.
Cost for the 6-mile race is $25 for kayak or $45 for canoe or tandem kayak; including rentals, it is $69 or $99.
Cost for the 10-mile race is $30 for kayak or $50 for canoe or tandem kayak; including rentals, it is $75 or $110.
The canoe divisions will be
• Junior Boys, Girls or Mixed: Any canoe type; both paddlers must be 17 or younger
• Adult/Youth: Any canoe type; adult must be 30 or older; youth must be 17 or younger
• Women’s Competitive: 18 years and older; maximum boat length 18-6
• Men’s Competitive: 18 years and older; maximum boat length 18-6
• Women Masters: 40 years and up; maximum boat length 18-6
• Men Masters: 40 years and up; maximum boat length 18-6
• Century: Two paddlers, combined age 100 or more
• Mixed Couple: Man-and-woman team; any age
• Single Paddler: One paddler; single-blade paddle, no Olympic specs
• Unlimited: Any racing boat outside specifications of other classes, including ICF boats
The kayak divisions will be:
• Women’s Short: Any kayak up to 15 feet; no downriver or racing kayaks
• Men’s Short: Any kayak up to 15 feet; no downriver or racing kayaks
<!– 196 …….